Online Research and Newspapers
We are pleased to be able to offer a wide range of research databases for your use. The Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners provides funding for a large number of databases from Gale Cengage as well as resources from Encyclopedia Britannica. These databases contain content geared toward the needs of children and youth:
- Britannica Annals of American History — Offers an exploration of the history of the United States using speeches, historical accounts, memoirs, poems, images and multimedia.
- Britannica Learning Zone — This resource is geared toward early learners with resources for learning about colors, numbers, shapes, sounds, and lots more!
- Britannica World Data Analyst — Provides a variety of data points to provide an understanding of all the countries of the world.
- Encyclopedia Britannica Online — This link takes you to Encyclopedia Britannica Online. Once there you can choose to search the Children’s edition, the Young Adults edition or the Reference Center.
- Encyclopedia Britannica School Edition — This version of Encyclopedia Britannica allows you to choose which level you want to search: Elementary, Middle or High School.
- Gale Virtual Reference Library — Electronic book versions of many encyclopedias and reference works on a variety of topics. Books can be read online with just an internet browser.
- InfoTrac Student Edition — Provides high school students with audience-appropriate information on current events, the arts, science, popular culture, health, people, government, history, sports, and more.
- Kids InfoBits — Targets the research needs of grades K-5 students providing 100 full-text age appropriate magazines and graphs, charts, maps and over 2,500 searchable images.
- Research in Context — Geared toward the information needs of middle school students, this database includes full-text magazines, newspapers and reference books covering current events, the arts, science, popular culture, health, people, government, history, sports and more.
- Spanish Reference Center — Resources in Spanish for children of all ages. Britannica Escolar is geared toward elementary and middle school students while Enciclopedia Moderna is geared toward high school and college students.
Go to this link to find a full list of databases and reference works available for researchers of all ages.
THE BOSTON GLOBE from 1980 to current.
THE NEW YORK TIMES from 1995 to current.
NEWSBANK — Provides access to 10 newspapers published in Western Massachusetts:
- The Advocate
- Amherst Bulletin
- Berkshire Eagle
- Daily Hampshire Gazette
- North Adams Transcript
- The Recorder
- The Republican
- Springfield Advocate
- Springfield Examiner
- Valley Advocate