Online Research, Magazines and Newspapers
We are pleased to be able to offer a wide range of research databases for your use. The Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners provides funding for a large number of databases from Gale Cengage as well as resources from Encyclopedia Britannica.
Go to this link to find a full list of databases and reference works available for researchers of all ages.
Databases for General Use:
- Academic One File — Over 10,000 full-text peer-reviewed journals.
- Artemis — A collection of electronic reference books on writers and literature.
- Biography in Context — Over 400,000 biographies on literary figures, as well as people involved in science, multicultural studies, business, entertainment, politics, sports, government, history, current events and the arts.
- Business Collection — Provides coverage of all business disciplines, including accounting, economics, finance, marketing, management and strategy, as well as business theory and practice.
- Culinary Arts Collection — Academic journals and magazines on all aspects of cooking and nutrition. The database includes thousands of searchable recipes, restaurant reviews, and industry information.
- Educator’s Reference Complete — A collection of over 1,000 journals and reports on administration, bilingual education, child development and psychology, funding, health education, technology, and testing.
- Environmental Studies and Policy Collection — Journal and magazines covering issues of environmental issues and policy.
- Gardening, Landscape and Horticulture Collection — Journal and magazine articles focused on both the practical aspects as well as the scientific theory of horticulture studies.
- Global Issues in Context — Offers international viewpoints on a broad spectrum of global issues, topics, and current events.
- Health and Wellness Resource Center — Provides access to carefully compiled and trusted medical reference materials including nearly over 700 health-related videos from partner Healthology, Inc., and articles from 2,200 general interest publications. The material contained in this database is intended for informational purposes only.
- Health Reference Center Academic — Resources designed for both nursing and allied health students as well as consumer health researchers. The material contained in this database is intended for informational purposes only.
- Hospitality, Tourism and Leisure Collection — Covers topics including the cultural and economic aspects of travel and tourism.
- InfoTrac Newsstand – A comprehensive collection of resources relating to current events and news as well as important past events and news.
- Literature Resource Center — Information on authors and their works in all genres and disciplines, from all time periods and from around the world.
- NoveList Plus — A database to help you figure out what to read next. You can search by age levels, genres, or whatever your mood might be and get a list of recommendations of books to read along with descriptions. This database comes to us as part of our membership in C/W MARS
- Nursing and Allied Health Collection — Academic journals and other reference content covering all aspects of the nursing profession, from direct patient care to health care administration.
- Physical Therapy and Sports Medicine — Academic journals and magazines covering the fields of fitness and sports, including proven treatment techniques, experimental research, and more.
- Science in Context — An engaging online experience for those seeking contextual information on hundreds of today’s most significant science topics.
- Small Business Resource Center — A collection of magazine and periodicals that will support business school students and entrepreneurs.
- U.S. History in Context — Contextual information on hundreds of the most significant people, events and topics in U.S. History.
- World History in Context — Contextual information on hundreds of the most significant people, events and topics in World History.
- Vocations and Careers Collection — Journals and magazines that aid users in researching a vocation, finding an appropriate institution of learning, job searching, and maintaining a career.
THE BOSTON GLOBE from 1980 to current.
THE NEW YORK TIMES from 1995 to current.
NEWSBANK — Provides access to 10 newspapers published in Western Massachusetts:
- The Advocate
- Amherst Bulletin
- Berkshire Eagle
- Daily Hampshire Gazette
- North Adams Transcript
- The Recorder
- The Republican
- Springfield Advocate
- Springfield Examiner
- Valley Advocate